Saturday, May 9, 2009

Simple pleasures in life !

Today, I had been reading a very interesting article in the IE, about the simple pleasures in life. The author had went to describe how it was more pleasurable to read a novel in the train and in the side look out for the next snack that will be doing the rounds. He had also explained how he is unable to enjoy such things now, as our lifestyle has changed dramatically.

This clicked on my thought process.

Oh ! how many small, simple things made me happy when I was young !!!!!

I am very fond of train travel (even now). When I was young, me and my sister went along with our aunt to Ahmedabad (my uncle used to live there). The journey was 2 days up and 2 days down. And it never bothered us as to what we'll do for 2 days in the train. We played a multitude of games, befriended a lot of kids in the train and had so much fun. The best part was we both sat and wrote down the name of every station we crossed / stopped. And we cross checked it while travelling back home. That's one train journey which I'll never forget.

My grandmother (my dad's mom) holds a special place in my heart ( I think not only mine, but in all her grandchildren). She has such soft hands that I'll be waiting for the weekends, when she'll oil massage my hair and body. That afternoon nap after the bath, was my favourite. She also allowed me to sleep on her lap or shoulder ( in our households, the grandparents are into so much of rituals and customs, that they refrain others from touching them). My grandmother was an exception. She found ways to twist rules, to make us happy. The best part I remember about her, is the way she used to make small balls of curd rice and put it on our palms to make us eat, all the while fabricating such wonderful stories. In the center of the curd rice ball, she'll press a little with her finger and in that, she'll pour a little sambar or keep a piece of mango pickle. Oh ! It tasted so delicious, that all of us will be gobbling more than we could possibly eat. I've still not found anything that equated that simple pleasure of eating curd rice, from the hands of my grandmother.

Me and my sister have this rapport for talking on for hours together, without getting BORED. We can talk about anything, but over a hot cup of tea. When both of us were in our teens, we had spent so much time chatting that we were oblivious to the world around us. This is another of life's simplest pleasures which I treasure.

Oh ! This blog will be incomplete if Md Rafi is not mentioned. This genius' voice is such a soother / stress buster / call it anything - that I literally worship him. Such is the versatility of his voice, that he can sing any number - duet, solo, sad song, gazals, almost anything. Listening to him / his voice / his songs was the top most in my list of simple pleasures in life. I still listen to him but nowadays, it has become a rarity, with two teenagers behind me all the time.

There are so many to this list and I am deeply thinking about them all, which might continue in my next blog. But till such time, I am glad to have listed a few of those things which made me so happy. I am smiling as I write this and I will be very happy to write more about these simple things.

I am praying to God at this juncture, for everybody to relive their simple pleasures, as they give more meaning to life than materialistic things.

6 comments:

Butterfly said...

I loved that bit abt the grandmother feeding you. It made my mouth water. My grandmother(dad's mom) used to make amazing kerala halwa, jackfruit halwa and chutney pwd. It was to die for!

And reading, I truly miss it. But now it seems like it was the means to an end. Almost like I do not need to read anymore.

I used to love one of the companies I worked for. Those four years were my golden years. If I ever want to go back, I would stop the tape right there and rewind as many times as is possible.

Anonymous said...

very nice... all these simple memories make life worth living.

UmaS said...

Butterfly : Yes, those instances in life which made us happy, have indeed a great impact on us. How we relish those memories and feel happy just to think abt them.

sruoloc : thank u.

Reflections said...

U've written this so beautifully....I have a lump in my throat!!!!!

U knw I always feel sad for my kids tht they dont & probably will never get to experience the kind of carefree childhood we had...wandering thru the countryside with our friends, plucking mangoes from a tree, playing in a stream, walking thru the rice-fields...ohhh so many memories;-(.

That bit abt eating off ur grandmothers hands is soo familiar....lovely post Umas!!!

UmaS said...

Nancy, it is indeed very sad to know that our kids are missing out so much fun.
When we were young, it was the way of life. I am able to appreciate those things better now.

Swaram said...

Ahhh! Nice one. I had written a similar post too sometime back and indeed, there are many things money cant buy. :)