Friday, February 27, 2009

Weight loss is never a Cake Walk !

Weight loss !!! Its just two words but the meaning and the effort that goes in to achieve it, is humongous. And all the tricks of the trade that we practise won't bring the needle down, in the weighing scale.
I cannot be rated as fat. But people, who have seen me during my early days into marital bliss, will find me a bit more round at the curves, now. Well, to be honest, I don't mind the roundness in the curves at all. It's the bloated tummy that's bothering me and especially my jeans, a lot.
I can still remember when all this started - it was after my second c-section. Every minute of the day was spent on my 2 daughters who are only 1 year 5 months apart. Imagine my plight when the older one wants to run around and play and I have the younger one to feed and nurse. This babysitting situation helped me to totally forget about my body. And by the time, I looked up to see myself in the mirror (after I had put both the girls in school), it was a horrible sight to see. Oh God ! All the weight gain has happily happened while I was totally oblivious to it. I had gained nearly 10kg than my weight before pregnancies.
Now, I take a vow to myself, to really workout and make myself look trim and fit.
- I started walking instead of taking the bus or auto wherever I was going alone (of course, only to places that are walkable for me). I couldn't have walked with one toddler holding my hand and other one in my hip. I don't remember when this exercise stopped or why it stopped.
- Somebody told having honey and lemon in warm water will help in reducing the fat. I sincerely did this till one fine day when I ran out of lemons.
- I joined swimming classes at my hubby's insistence. Basically, I was scared shit of water. So, all that did happen in that 15 days course was that the fear of water was reduced considerably. But swimming, that didn't happen at all. Look at my fate - when I paid a whopping 1000/- for 15 days course, I had to miss classes for 4 days due to my periods. So, only 11 days remained in my course. All I learnt was only to float.
- Srini used to take me to the paid pools during weekends, so that I can hone my swimming skills. That also stopped when we got a transfer.
- During the next 5 years, somehow this exercise fever evaded me. It was when we joined the club's health membership, that I started hitting the gym with a vengeance. And I was improving my swimming skills with Srini's help. Wow, the world looks great now.
- I had just started reducing a few kilos and then came the fast food giants to Hyderabad. Why should they open shop here and have all of us drooling over their menus ? KFC, Mac to name a few were the culprits behind my weight gain, AGAIN.
- Now, we had to shift to our own house, and going to the health club became a distant dream.
- As I meet more women in my apartment, who have undergone similiar experiences, regarding this monster Weight, I am happy to be having company. So, some of us started some workout routines, which ended in happy coffees, cakes, sandwiches and so on that the workout didn't have any effect at all.
- Then we took to yoga, the in thing now. We were all doing great yoga and we felt the difference in our body, but it hardly lasted for 2 months.
- Now, it is the turn of dancexercise. Even though the workouts are killing us, the joints are hurting, we know we're burning a lot of calories there. But, can we sustain this pain and gain from the calorie drain ? I really doubt it.

Now, what does all these trials tell me ? They are shouting at the top voice that I AM NOT COMMITTED. Because, if I've been committed to the weight loss program, I wouldn't have had Potato chips (my biggest weakness) or the cheesy fast foods. Whenever I am failing, I would have thought about it and found the reasons for my failure of the program.
The weight loss is never a cake walk, women. Think and choose the right weight loss program that suits your body and mind. You should be totally committed to the program. Ahhh! Talking about it is so easy. The difficulty is when you've to drag yourself through it.
So, help me God, to be more committed to the weight loss program, to stick to it (even during days of menstruation - these are my days when my program tends to fail) and to eat healthy.
Is weight loss a distant dream or a reality ?

3 comments:

Butterfly said...

U have hit below the belt. This same this has been torturing me for a month now. That I have to be more committed. After seeing Vaishali, I feel like spitting on myself. Atleast u have ur bulge where u can see it. Can't say the same for me.
Come on Uma, we can do it!
Now I am more committed than ever! My aim is to fit into size 30 jeans. For now that is..........

Unknown said...

Welcome to the club. I too have tried different ways to loose weight but should give credit to you for leaving no stone unturned that too in such a short span. All the best to be committed.

Reflections said...

LOL.....that was a good post!!!!

With a single post U have managed to say the life stories of a few million women out there:-)).

I have to congratulate u atleast for the fact that u have tried out so many options.....u knw there r some of us out here who havent done ANYTHING abt it.

.....alone I wont do anything.
I so desperately wish for some like minded company:-(